From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rachelle's Shoyu Chicken

There are many, many shoyu chicken recipes out there. I have been experimenting with some lately, and I think I have got the right combination of soy sauce, sugar, garlic and ginger (according to my palate) Not saying that there are not better ones out there, I just like this one the best for me.
I recently went to a church function the other night, and Shoyu Chicken was the main dish. I get a little apprehensive about Hawaiian food, but this was really good and I went back for seconds. Shoyu is just a fancy, Japanese way of saying soy sauce. This is a very popular dish here in Hawaii, and I'm glad I finally have a staple Hawaiian thing to cook for the guests that come visit me. (Note to guests: you will be eating this when you come to visit). The key is definitely chicken thighs, and I love that you can buy them in a big bag at Costco boneless, skinless. The extra fat content helps make the meat tender, flavorful and moist.
I love serving this with sticky rice and a side salad with homemade ranch on it. Super yummy flavor combination. The leftovers are just as good.


Rachelle's Shoyu Chicken

2 1/4 C soy sauce (Aloha Brand is the best)
3/4 C Water
3/4 Brown sugar
3 Garlic clove, minced
1/2 tbs ginger, minced (you could use ground ginger, use 3/4 tsp)
4-5 lbs skinless boneless Chicken thighs (about 8-9 thighs)

In a large pot, combine first 5 ingredients. Add chicken and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until tender. Serve w/ sticky rice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much brown sugar?

Blogger said...

If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you must watch this video
right away...

(VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?