From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mimi's Honey Bran Muffin (Copycat)

If you have been to Mimi's Cafe, you should know about the Honey Bran Muffin that they give you when you order soup or salad.  I love this muffin, with it's sticky gooey outer layer, and moist inside.  *Now, if you don't have powdered milk, just use 1/4 c milk and 1/4 c water*.  The muffins become more gooey the longer they sit.  I think this muffin is as close as I'm going to get to the original Mimi's Cafe Honey Bran Muffin in Hawaii.

Mimi's Honey Bran Muffin (Copycat)

Dry Ingredients:
 1 c flour
1 c wheat bran (I bought mine in the bulk bins)
4 tsp dry milk* (see note above)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Wet ingredients:
1/3 c dark brown sugar
1/4 c honey
2 tbs molasses
1/4 c oil
1 egg
1/3 c raisins (you could use prunes as well)
1/2 c water *(see note)
1 tsp orange zest

Glaze:
3 tbs sugar
3 tbs dark brown sugar
3 tbs butter, softened
2 tbs corn syrup
2 tsp water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Combine ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl.  Divide glaze mixture among 12 muffin tins, making sure to coat the sides and bottoms, set aside. In a blender or food processor puree raisins and water together. Add puree to the rest of the wet ingredients, and combine well.  Add dry ingredients to wet, and mix until combined.  Divide batter evenly between the 12 muffin tins.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tops of muffins are just set set. (Do not over bake!) Immediately invert muffins onto wax paper or foil, and let cool.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great basic recipe. I didn't purée raisins just added them whole. No glaze as I didn't want sticky. Only makes 11 rounded muffins.
Thank you

Unknown said...

Not sure where I went wrong but they flattened out and covered the sides of the muffin tin and dripped down all over the oven floor.
I measured all ingredients precisely, but did put into a 6 jumbo Muffin tin, so maybe should have added a couple small muffin cups, I guess just too much batter for what I used. Once turned out and cool, they looked more like muffins than I envisioned with all of the run over!
They were however, DELICIOUS and while not very pretty ;) the recipe does taste just like Mimi's. Thanks for a great recipe, I will just fill the tins 1/2 full and add an additional tin!

ACho said...

I’ve made these a couple times now, and they are really great! I did add some copped dates with the raisins, and if you like dates highly recommend them as an add!
I never had Mimi’s muffins, but these are very similar to the ones Larry’s Market in Bellevue/North Seattle used to make. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a brand muffin to either buy or bake for years that comes close to the ones I used to eat in Carpinteria as a teenager. This recipe comes pretty darn close! Never had a Mimi’s muffin but these are the bomb thank you for the recipe I will make it again.