From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Simple Red Enchilades

Everything I have tried from the Pioneer Woman, I have loved.  This recipe comes from her, and they were absolutely delicious.  We love anything Mexican at our house, and these really past the test in my book.  Alot of times I shy away from enchiladas using the sauce out of the can, because its all I can taste in the dish.  I loved the method of combining the store bought sauce with chicken broth to mellow it out.  I made this recipe with store bought corn tortillas and I ran out, so I made up some homemade ones.  The store bought were delicious, but the homemade tortillas were to die for.  Of course you don't need to go to the trouble to make your own.  However, if you live near a Mexican market or some other place that sells fresh tortillas, they are amazing.  I modified this recipe only in the fact that I didn't fry the tortillas before hand.  I sprayed each tortilla with cooking spray, and put them on my pancake griddle so that they would toughen up and not break when I roll each enchilada up.  I also added more cilantro to my sauce, didn't use olives in the filling, and cut the green chilies down to just one can instead of two.  Play around with this one, according to what you like!


Simple Red Enchiladas

For the sauce:
1 tbs canola oil
1 tbs flour
1 (28 oz.) can red enchilada sauce (I used mild)
2 c chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 tbs chopped cilantro

For the Meat:
1 pound of ground beef
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 can diced green chilies
1 tsp salt or seasoned salt

To Assemble:
3 c of grated cheese
1 c chopped green onions
1/2 c chopped cilantro (to sprinkle on top at the end)
10-15 corn tortillas

To make the sauce,in a medium sauce pan combine the oil and the flour and whisk together to make a paste, cook for one minute.  Pour in red sauce, chicken broth, cilantro, salt and pepper.  Bring to boil, and reduce heat to a simmer for 30-45 minutes
Brown meat with onions in a skillet.  Add green chilies, and salt. Set aside.
Spray each corn tortilla with cooking spray.  Place on griddle and let crisp up just a little.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Pour 1/2 c red sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Dip each tortilla into red sauce, then spoon meat mixture, some cheese, and some green onion into the center.  Roll up and place seam side down in the pan.  Repeat until everything is used up. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over top, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese has melted.  Sprinkle cilantro all over the enchiladas when they come out of the oven.

No comments: