From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Monday, February 6, 2012

TDF Sugar Cookies

Usually when it comes to making sugar cookies, I take the easy route and use the Betty Crocker pre made mix where you add egg and a stick of butter. I needed a sugar cookie base for my Sugar Cookie Cups, and the key for me was to get a chewy flavorful cookie. This recipe I have used for the base of fruit pizza as well. The chewiness comes from the added corn syrup to the batter. The flavor is buttery, vanilla, and almond in the perfect combination. Now, I haven't tried rolling these out to cut into shapes. However, I think they would turn out perfect for that, as they have the right texture for a cut out cookie. I did scoop this batter like a regular cookie batter, and they held their form. So, if you want a flat cookie, roll into a ball, and use the bottom of a cup to flatten. Or chill slightly and then roll out and cut with cookie cutters. My favorite way to use this recipe is for sugar cookie cups. I sprayed Pam on my mini muffin pan, and then put about a 1/2 tablespoon of dough into each tin, and pressed it down. The batter should almost fill the mini muffin cup. Bake, cool and then fill with whatever frosting. Don't over bake. Sometimes you may think, "it's still doughy because when it comes out of the oven it is still soft. Do not worry! As it cools the cookies will set....that's the magic trick of getting FAB cookies. For variation on flavor, add the zest of a lemon or an orange.



TDF Sugar Cookies

3 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar (use 1 1/4 c. if you don't want it as sweet)
2 rounded tbs corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 egg

Heat oven to 320 degrees. In a large bowl combine sugar, egg, and corn syrup. Add vanilla and almond extract. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well to combine. The dough will be stiff. Bake for 7-10 minutes or longer depending on how you are using the batter. Dough should just barley be golden on the bottom and edges. Let cool completely.

No comments: