From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Friday, February 24, 2012

Jared's Lemon Pie

First off, I would like to thank all the followers of this blog. I appreciate the comments you make about a recipe that you have tried, and the success that it was in your home. It really makes my day when someone that I don't know personally has tried a recipe, and they loved it as much as I do. So, thank you for that.
My husbands birthday was on Tuesday of this last week. I asked him what he wanted for his special day dessert, and he almost picked the mixed berry crisp. But, he asked me to make a lemon meringue pie w/out the meringue. He loves lemon and tart things, so his wish was my command. However, you can't have a pie filled with just lemon curd, you need something to break up the tangy, strong flavor of lemon. I looked through a couple of lemon/cheese pie recipes, and came up with Jared's Lemon Pie recipe below. This pie was really good, and I will definitely make it again. I like it because it doesn't use eggs, and sometimes lemon curd sicks me out because you can taste an eggy element, even though you have cooked the eggs. I have a feeling it will be my husbands new favorite dessert. Also, the recipe for a graham cracker crust can be used with any pie requiring a crust like that. Any cream pie can have a graham cracker crust. As long as you are not baking the filling in the graham cracker crust. It definitely is fool proof and then you don't have to make a pastry dough w/ blind baking and all that. Also, if you don't want to whip your own cream, you could use whipped topping.


Jared's Lemon Pie

Graham Cracker Crust:
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c sugar
6 tbs butter, melted

Pie:
1 1/2 c sugar
6 tbs cornstarch
pinch of salt
1 c water
2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
2 tsp lemon zest
2/3 c fresh lemon juice
2 tbs butter
3/4 c whipped cream (already whipped)
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tbs lemon juice
1/2 c powdered sugar

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Combine graham crackers, butter and sugar in a bowl and stir with a fork to combine. Press evenly into a 9 inch pie plate and bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool completely. For the pie, in a medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and salt, stir to combine. Add water, food coloring, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Bring to boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and stir in butter. Place into a glass bowl and let cool to room temperature. While lemon curd is cooling, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Remove to a separate bowl. Whipped cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy and combined. Fold in 1/2 c whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until gently combined. spread the cream cheese mixture into the cooled graham cracker crust, and then gently top with lemon filling, spread evenly. Refrigerate at least 6-8 hours. Add 1 tbs powdered sugar to leftover whipped cream to garnish the top of the pie.

No comments: