From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Monday, March 25, 2013

Donut Muffins

I'm sitting down at my computer, and my brain wants to explode with how good these are.  I tried these on Sunday, when my friend Jenny brought them to church.  I saw them, and thought, "oh, its just a cinnamon and sugar coated muffin".  But, when I tried one, I felt like I was eating an actual donut.  The texture, and flavor make these muffins unbelievable.  This is for sure my new fav.  Thanks Jenny J!
Tonight I tried rolling the donut in powdered sugar, and it was off the charts good.  The cinnamon and sugar coating tastes like a churro donut and you get a good texture from the sugar crystals (Lana you will love this). 
Make this for breakfast this year on Easter morning, YOUR FAMILY WILL, (as my 4 year old son Cameron likes to say when something is good) "DIE OUT".
DO NOT OVERCOOK these babies, keep a close eye on them as oven temps vary.


Donut Muffins

1/3 c shortening
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg (a must)

6 tbs butter, melted
powdered sugar (1 cup or so)
cinnamon and sugar mixture (1/2 cup or so)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Combine sugar and shortening, add egg.  Mix until creamy.  Add milk, combine well.  Add flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.  Stir until dough comes together.  Spray a 12 muffin tin with cooking spray.  Divide dough evenly among 12 muffin tins.  Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until tops are just set.  Tops of the muffins should still be white. 
Remove each muffin one at a time, dip into melted butter, and then coat with cinnamon and sugar or powdered sugar.  Let cool on a cooling rack. (Makes 12 muffins)

Picture courtesy of Sugarcrafter

No comments: