From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Friday, December 30, 2011

Homemade Hummus

This recipe is really good! I have always, always, always loved hummus. I have never made it, because the one ingredient I was always missing was tahini (ground sesame seed paste). Well, I bought it at the store today, and I made it. I can't believe I have not made hummus myself until now. I love that I can pull it out of the fridge and dip baby carrots into it for a quick snack. Pita bread and pita chips would be simply TDF with this hummus. This hummus would also be amazing served along grilled chicken and a salad. Don't do what I did and put off making your own hummus until you buy tahini. Buy it on your next grocery trip!


Homemade Hummus

3 tbs fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. water
6 tbs tahini
2 tbs olive oil
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
1 small garlic clove
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin

In a food processor or blender combine garbanzo beans, cumin, garlic clove and salt. Pulse until ground, scrape down the sides. In a small measuring cup combine water and lemon juice. Slowly pour water/lemon juice mixture into food processor while it is running, and let run for about 1 minute. Combine tahini and olive oil, and while the processor is running, slowly pour that mixture in. Pulse until nice and creamy. Serve with any vegetable, pita bread or meats. Garnish with cilantro, flat leaf parsley and or paprika.

No comments: