From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Authentic Mexican Rice

This rice is SO easy, tastes like the stuff that you get at Mexican restaurants, but you control the quality in your ingredients. My mother-in-law Sheree gave me this recipe, which she got from her friend from Mexico, so it really is authentic. This rice is good with any meal, it doesn't have to be a Mexican dish. This rice is good as a side, in burritos, fajitas, etc. If you want to make the rice spicy, slice up a jalapeno like coins,and throw them on top...it will add much heat. If you need to make more of the rice, just double it!

Authentic Mexican Rice

1 c. long grain rice
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp. oil (can use olive oil)
1/2 small onion sliced into thick rings

In a medium pot add oil, and rice. Over medium-high heat, stir rice and oil, until rice turns bright white, that's how you will know when it's ready to add the liquid. In a measuring cup, add tomato sauce and enough water to equal 2 cups. Add to rice, stir, add salt, stir, and then add onion slices to the top. (They will sink onto the rice, and add a pretty touch when rice is done). Cover and let simmer on low for 20 minutes or until rice is done.

11 comments:

shalene said...

Hey Rachelle,

When I put the tomato sauce in a measuring cup do I add water until they both add up to 2 cups?

Rachelle Underwood said...

Shalene, yes, you substitute water, until your total liquid amount is 2 cups. Good luck...let me know if it turns out!

Melodie said...

I tried this recipe and I failed. But I think it's the rice I used. Is long grain Brown rice different from plain long grain rice? Every time I've tried to cook long grain brown rice it's never worked right. Maybe it's the brand. Anyway, could I use regular white rice?

Rachelle Underwood said...

Melodie, YES brown rice in ANY type of grain (short, long) is very different from white rice. Brown rice takes almost and hour to cook, and white rice cooks in 20 minutes. It also takes more water than white rice does. Whenever I cook brown rice, I use a rice cooker. So try this recipe with white rice. I have never made it w/ brown.

Unknown said...

How is it possible that the rice becomes yellow?

Anonymous said...

the diluted tomato sauce and oil make it well, more like orange.

Saffron rice in Cuban cooking is yellow. Maybe that's what you are thinking of ?

Unknown said...

I want to cook in a rice cooker can I just put all ingredients together and wait ?

Number1foodie said...

Authentic Mexican rice should not be cooked in a rice cooker unless you brown the rice, onion and garlic first. Then added the tomato sauce for I minute . lastly add your two cups of chicken broth then transfer all to the rice cooker and cook like white rice.

number1foodie said...

Only
use Lon grain rice. Whole process is about 25 min. Brown 1cup of rice for 6 minutes in a heated pan with 1 1/12 tbsp. of canola oil then add 1 small chopped onion fry for another 3 minutes add 1 garlic chopped fine, fry 1 more minute. Now add 5 ounces of tomato sauce and stir once. It should sizzle. Add 2cups of chicken broth. Sprinkle with a little black pepper taste for salt. Add a sprig of cilantro (optional). Cover with a see through tight fitting lid. Check that enough liquid has absorbed and rice is fluffy. Should cook in 15 minutes. You can add a little powdered chicken bouillon instead of salt for more taste.

Unknown said...

Nice info!

Wanda Lyon said...

Do you cook rice often? I think, if you visit the following website page, you'll eat only rice then. Because do like that right now thanks to my rice cooker.