From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Monday, January 24, 2011

Skillet Beef Stroganoff

I'm really excited about this dish that I made for my family the other night. As a child we would have beef stroganoff made with cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mixed into it. I don't like that it resembled a gravy instead of a sauce. It also looked very unappetizing. It was semi-good tasting, but this recipe is super delicious. My kids LOVED it! I also liked that it was a quick meal for me to make, and I used one pan to prepare it. A lot of my friends have told me they don't know how to pick out beef for meals, and believe me I'm no pro. However, through the years I have been able to select the cheapest cut for meals, and adapt it to the recipe I'm making. When shopping for top sirloin beef, just make sure it is on sale. On the mainland you will often see it go on sale for 1.99/pound. This is an EXCELLENT price so buy a couple of packages. (So jealous of you "mainlanders"...cheap, cheap, cheap!) If the label says, "sirloin" buy it! It's more tender than London Broil, and can be used in many recipes. When slicing the beef, slice it pretty thin, so that it can tenderize and is easy to eat. You will LOVE this recipe, I'm making it again for the second time in a week! (Lana, you better make this one!)



Skillet Beef Stroganoff

1 1/2 pounds top sirloin, sliced thinly into strips against the grain
4 tbs vegetable oil
1 pkg white button mushrooms, sliced thin
1 medium onion, minced
2 tbs flour
1 can chicken broth
1 can beef broth
4 cups wide egg noodles
2/3 c sour cream
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
chopped parsley for garnish

Pat beef dry with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbs of oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium high. Cook half of beef until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, and repeat with the rest of the beef. Heat remaining 2 tbs of oil in skillet. Cook mushrooms, and onions with 1/2 tsp salt for about 8 minutes. Add flour and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in both broths and add beef. Cover and simmer beef for 25 minutes, until tender. Stir uncooked noodles into the beef mixture, cover and cook noodles according to package directions. Take pan off the heat, stir in sour cream, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachelle this does look yummy....even though the name gives me visions of gross stroganoff from childhood...for you I will try!!! Lana