From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Friday, November 25, 2011

Mabel's Pie Crust

Making your own pie crust can be very intimidating. My mother has always made a perfect flaky crust, and I just now feel like I can measure up to that. This recipe was found in a 1971 Betty Crocker Cookbook that was my Grandma Mabel's. She passed away almost 15 years ago. She was known for her amazing pies. I love having a hard copy of this recipe book because in the pie section there are splotches of whatever pie she was literally whipping up. So, when I'm cooking from this book, I am reminded of her free spirit, giving, and accepting mentality. Most of all her love of cooking that I feel was genetically determined in myself.


Don't be afraid to try making your own crust. Practice makes perfect. Get the courage and just do it! (Double recipe for a 2 crust pie)


Mabel's Pie Crust

8 or 9 inch one-crust pie

1 c flour
1/2 rounded tsp salt
1/3 c plus 1 tbs shortening
2-3 tablespoons cold water

Measure flour, salt and shortening into a bowl. With a fork, cut the shortening into the flour until mixture resembles pea sized balls. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork each time, until dough comes together. Dough should not be too wet. When you push on the dough it should stick together. Lightly flour table surface and roll dough out to a 10-11 inch round. fold circle in half and transfer to pie plate, unfolding crust once it is in the plate. Trim excess pie dough if needed. Bake according to recipe that you are making. (If doing a pre-baked pie crust, prick pie crust all over with a fork, and bake at 475 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this Rachelle! We have been talking a lot about grandma Mabel this week... How cool that you honored her on your blog! It is THE BEST pie crust hands down!! Don't buy your crust, make it! It's as easy as rolling out play doh!
Lana