From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Monday, March 22, 2010

The BEST Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm seriously foaming at the mouth about this recipe right now. I made these cookies yesterday, and they are SO insanely perfect, I don't know if I will make any other recipe for chocolate chip cookies again! I saw that alot of food blogs were posting this recipe, which comes from a cooking magazine. The recipe looked strange to me, and I had serious doubts as to weather they were going to turn out. The result was a chewy, soft, flavorful, perfect chocolate chip cookie. Here's why I think they turn out the way they do: It calls for a cup of brown sugar and only a 1/2 a cup of regular sugar, and when you combine the melted butter with all the brown sugar it starts the caramelizing process. I don't know what the egg yolk does, but it must do something! The other interesting part is that you cook these cookies at a low temperature for 14 minutes, this allows the cookie to caramelize and become chewy, without being burnt! These are just wonderful...if you don't try this recipe, you will never experience in my book, the perfect cookie.
P.S. - these cookies get more chewy as they sit...love, love, love! I also found that the first batch of cookies, I had to cook longer, but then after the first batch, 14 minutes was perfect!

The BEST Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 c. plus 2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 tbs. butter, melted, then cooled till warm
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
1 c. - 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt butter in a large bowl in the microwave just until it melts, don't scorch it! Add sugars, vanilla, and salt to butter mixture. Add egg and egg yolk, blend. Add flour and baking soda, mix until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop tablespoon sized cookies onto an ungreased, light colored baking sheet. Cook for 14 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden...do not over bake.

13 comments:

Jwells said...

hmmm very interesting... I think also the butter melted has to do something..and the egg yolk. I have never used butter, only crisco so I am looking forward to trying these TDF cookies. How many cookies does this batch make? I am going to make these tomorrow night. :)

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

i am going to have to try this out!!!

Rachelle Underwood said...

This makes about 2 1/2 dozen medium sized cookies.

Phoo-D said...

These look delicious! I love a chewy yet soft chocolate chip cookie. The recipe sounds much more approachable than the lengthy NY Times recipe that has been floating around the blogosphere.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Hey Chelle! I posted this recipe on my blog today because you were right, they were T.D.F.! You may have some blog visitors!

Julie said...

had no intentions of making cookies today but I had to try these out right away. Just pulled them out of the oven and they are delicious.....do I really have to share them with the family?

Rachelle Underwood said...

Julie...they really are hard to resist! I'm afraid to try any other recipe, fearing they will not measure up!

Julie said...

I had to come by and tell you that my husband LOVED these!!! (and everyone else)
I can't wait to take them to a family party, you see my sister holds the best cookie crown, and I think she is about to be dethroned :-)
do you mind if I link to you some time? not that i've been a good blogger lately but the world has to know about these!!!

Rachelle Underwood said...

Julie, TDF huh? They are so stinkin good, you are tempting me to make them right now. Please link up anytime!

Kerstin said...

My daughter made these!!! After the first batch that we had to throw out because she used powdered sugar instead of flower...they turned out great! My favorite part was the next day they were still chewey. That's how you can tell it's a really good cookie! Thanks for the receipe!

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Ok girl, I'm making them as we speak! I am super excited and currently eating the cookie dough which is delish. So excited to try all your recipes!

Shanna said...

I've made these 3 times with a 4th batch in the oven right now! I've looked high and low for the best cookie recipe and this is it! Hands down!

Anonymous said...

I tried to make these. They turned out too runny. I added more flour and they are cake like. I don't know if it was the melted butter or what.