From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Upside Down German Chocolate Cake

This dessert is really something. It is extremely gooey, and moist, and very simple to throw together. This is a great dessert to make instead of a regular cake or a pan of brownies. My husband approved of it, and he is becoming quite the critic these days. He lets me know if a recipe is "blog-worthy" or not. I completely trust him, he has been testing my recipes for 7 1/2 years now.
Anyways, this is a fun, easy alternative to your regular German chocolate cake with the frosting. Very simple and easy...give this one a try.
I found this recipe here.



Upside Down German Chocolate Cake

1 German cake mix, prepared according to box directions
1 cup coconut
2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup melted butter
1 pound powdered sugar
8 ounces cream cheese

Preheat oven to 340 degrees. Make cake mix according to box directions. Set aside. Grease a 9x13 pan and sprinkle the bottom of pan with nuts and coconut. Pour cake mix into pan. In a small bowl combine melted butter, powdered sugar and cream cheese until well combined. Drop by spoonfuls all over the cake batter. Using a butter knife, gently swirl the cream cheese mixture into the cake mixture....don't over swirl. Bake for 1 hour, and don't over bake! Serve with vanilla ice cream. YUM!

9 comments:

LONNI MOORELAND said...

I finally found an excuse to make this recipe (I'm the only one in our house that likes coconut). It was a hit at my book club and SOOO good.

Anonymous said...

This was absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for such an awesome recipe!

susan said...

I made this for a late Father's Day celebration today. It is yummy! I posted a review on my blog and of course linked back to you.

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Anonymous said...

For ideas on easy chocolate cake recipes, be inspired by MyDish and find your own answer to baking the perfect Upside Down German Chocolate Cake

Anonymous said...

Ive made this cake for 20 years (: Everyone loves it and they think you cooked for hours.... Its a winner!

Vicki said...

Is the coconut the sweetened shredded kind? Or unsweetened?

Anonymous said...

Just as good without coconut!!

Anonymous said...

This is our family’s favorite cake for birthdays! So good and easy to make.

Unknown said...

Vicki,
You may use either. I have used both! The sweetened coconut seems to make it a little more gooey on the bottom which everyone loved but both work well.