From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Green Chile Enchilades

Sometimes when I make a recipe, I don't think it is "worthy" enough to put on the blog. I guess I feel that way because I think the recipe is so simple anybody could think of putting the flavors together. My sister Lana corrected me and said, "Uh, I would never think of doing "this"". So, I will post this recipe, since it was given the TDF thumbs up by my extended family as well as my husband (he is pretty easy to please).
In my experience with enchilada sauce, I have never found a red sauce that I like. The flavor is too overwhelming, and I get sick of eating the actual enchilada. I love green chilies, and so I always make my enchilada using green enchilada sauce. I have used several brands, and just buy whatever is on sale. Las Palmas brand is very mild, and has great flavor. Other green enchilada sauces can be more spicy, but that usually doesn't bother me. So, my best advice is go for what is economical and buy several cans when they are on sale so that you have the ingredients ready to go. I also like flour tortillas when doing enchiladas, because corn tortillas tend to fall apart, and it's like you are eating a casserole. I serve these alongside some beans, and it is a complete meal. Keep in mind that depending on how full you fill each enchilada determines how many you make in the end. The measurements in my recipe are what have worked for me.


Green Chile Enchiladas

1 large can of green enchilada sauce
2-3 chicken breast, cooked, and shredded
1 (8 oz.) pkg of cream cheese, softened
1/4-1/3 c. sour cream (depending on how dry the mixture is)
2 tbsp cilantro, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1 can green chilies
flour tortillas
2 c. cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cooking spray in a 9x13 pan. Pour enough green sauce to coat the bottom of the pan (about 3/4 c.). In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, chicken, cumin, cilantro, sour cream, green chilies and 1 cup of cheese until combined. Place about 1/3 c. mixture into each tortilla, roll up, and place seam side down in the pan. Continue until all chicken mixture has been used. Pour remaining green sauce over enchiladas, and top with the remaining grated cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbling all around the edges.


No comments: