From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Raspberry Almond Cream Cheese Bars

I usually will not do two posts in one day, but I REALLY couldn't wait to post this awesome recipe. I found this recipe here. I was attracted to the recipe because of the shortbread crust, and raspberry combination. I have tried other raspberry bars with a cream cheese layer, and I feel like I'm just eating cheesecake, not a raspberry bar. The cream cheese layer doesn't scream cheesecake, it adds a creamy soft element that is a perfect texture needed in the dessert. This recipe has all the flavors and textures needed to make my dream raspberry bar. I love almond flavored things, and so instead of making a vanilla glaze to go on top, I made an almond flavored glaze, and I think it put it over the top for me. I also changed the recipe by using almonds in the topping rather than pecans. Thus, that is why I changed the recipe name to Raspberry Almond Cream Cheese Bars. I had a TDF moment as I sampled my new favorite raspberry bar. Try it...you will LOVE it!

Raspberry Almond Cream Cheese Bars

1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 c. flour
1/3 c. quick oats
1/3 c. chopped almonds
1 small jar of raspberry jam
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Glaze:
milk
powdered sugar
almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl combine butter, sugar, salt and vanilla, mix well. Add flour and mix until incorporated. Reserve 1 c. of this mixture, and set aside. In an ungreased 9x9 pan, pat down the cookie mixture evenly on the bottom of the pan, partially cook crust for 10-15 minutes, remove from the oven, set aside. In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk, whisk together until nice and smooth. Poor this mixture over cookie crust. Mix raspberry jam up in the jar until it becomes syrupy so that it is easier to spread. Spread raspberry jam over cream cheese mixture. Add oats and chopped nuts to the reserved 1 c. cookie mixture until combined. Crumble this over the raspberry jam layer. Cook in the oven for 25- 30 minutes. After the bars have cooled slightly, make the glaze, starting with 1 c of powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp almond extract and some milk to thin it out. Mix until smooth, adjusting the flavors as needed. (Note: The glaze should be pretty almondy to get the right effect.) Drizzle glaze over bars, let cool and cut into squares.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog is killing me! I'm getting fat just reading this! ; )

Anonymous said...

I have to say that these are truelt TDF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so so so so so good.. I did not feel bad at all eating them, that is how good they were. Try them. AMAZING! JWELLS