From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Best Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

This is another winner from my friend Jenny Johnson. She made this for her husband's birthday party and gave me some to try. She warned me that she thought that they would fall into the TDF category and was she ever so right! I had them, and was blown away at how perfectly the texture and taste was. She used mint ice cream, but you could use any type of ice cream you prefer. You could also use whatever toppings you like, such as toffee chips or crushed candy bars and roll the ice cream edge in the toppings and then freeze as normal. (Very cute, very yummy)
They were super decadent on their own, but Jenny insisted that dipping them into hot fudge sent them over the top...YUM. I think by using a cake mix for the base of the cookie, you get the right texture, and the cookie is still slightly soft when frozen with the ice cream. LOVE THEM! My next goal is to make these using a yellow cake mix, adding some brown sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips to make a "Big Ed" version of my own.



Best Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

1 pkg chocolate cake mix (devils food, milk chocolate, German chocolate..any kind)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 c semi-sweet chips
1/2 gallon of favorite ice cream

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter, vanilla extract, eggs, and chocolate chips. Roll dough into 2-inch balls and place them onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Do not overbake; the cookies should be set, but still soft. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to finish cooling on wire racks.
  3. Using an ice cream scoop, mold the softened ice cream into a ball about the size of the cookies. Place scoop of ice cream between two cookies and gently press together. If you like a smooth edge, run the back of a spoon around the edge of the ice cream sandwich. Working quickly, fill all of the cookies, lay out on a baking sheet, and place in the freezer to harden. Serve when the ice cream has frozen solid. Sandwich cookies can be stored in a freezer bag for up to two weeks.

1 comment:

Wilton Winrow said...

Whoa! This ice cream sandwich looks delicious! I hope my gums are totally healed by next week so I can eat ice cream again. Last weekend, my wisdom tooth was extracted by one of the dentists in Miami, Florida. I'll ask him if I can eat ice cream so I can cook this recipe this coming Sunday. Well, I'll just save this link.