From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Butter Nut Balls

Tis' the season for holiday baking! I LOVE Christmas goodies, so expect a lot of recipes for the "goodie" category in the next couple of weeks. These cookie balls are so buttery, shortbread-like and delicious. They are very addicting, and I make them bite-size so you can pop them in your mouth in one bite! This is a family favorite of ours, and for as long as I can remember, my parents have been making these for goodie plates at Christmas time. I did however, in my usual way change them up a bit from my mothers recipe. Since I'm a HUGE fan of almond extract, I had to add a little bit to the recipe. I also sweetened the dough up a little bit more, so you don't have to double roll the cookie in powdered sugar to get them sweet enough. Less work, better flavor, equals one awesome cookie. Use whatever nut is your favorite. I like to use walnuts because they have a nice soft texture.


Butter Nut Balls

1 c. butter softened
3/4 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 c flour
1 1/2 c walnuts, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, and sugar until creamy. Add extracts, salt and flour, mix until well incorporated. Add chopped walnuts until combined. Roll batter into 1 inch balls, place on ungreased cookie sheet. (You can place them close together, since they don't spread.) Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just starting to turn golden. When they come out of the oven immediately toss them in a bowl of powdered sugar, place on cooling rack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe!