From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Thursday, December 16, 2010

TDF Chewy Coconut Macaroons

I know I have been posting alot of goodies lately, but it is the season for treats. Everybody always needs new ideas right? Well, I have never made macaroons before, and I have checked out dozens of recipes, and thought "could a cookie be any easier?" After reading about probably 20 different ways to make macaroons, I finally got the recipe for my palate and maybe yours. I love sweetened condensed milk, although most macaroons are made with an egg white base, I'm particular to the flavor of the sweetened condensed milk as well as the texture which is chewy and rich! These are very comparable to the insides of Almond Joy, which I LOVE! You can add anything to these cookies, for instance: drizzle chocolate over the top or dip the bottoms in chocolate when they are cooled. You could also put chopped nuts in the batter, or place a nut on top using chocolate as the glue. The possibilities are endless! Seeing as I live in Hawaii, I though putting a macadamia nut on the top of each one would add a nice touch. These really are easy and since the cookies do not spread, you can bake a TON all at once. If you have problems with gluten, you could leave the flour out (I did a batch without flour, and they spread just slightly but still delish). Make sure when forming your balls, you pack the mixture together to get a dense chewy texture. I used my tablespoon cookie scooper, and packed it in with my fingers before putting it on the pan. TDF!


TDF Chewy Coconut Macaroons

5 1/2 cups sweetened, flakes coconut (1 bag)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl combine coconut, flour and salt, mix well. Add sweetened condensed milk, and extracts, mix very well. Place coconut batter into the freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm up. Using a large cookie scoop or tablespoon, pack coconut batter into the scoop or spoon, then drop onto cookie sheet lined with foil, and sprayed generously with cooking spray. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges and on top. Let sit on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then remove them and place them on wax paper to cool completely.

No comments: